Monday, December 22, 2008

Digging Out

After a week of hearing that the weather should start warming up and instead snow continuing to fall, we decided we should start digging out. We figured with as much snow as we got, even if it did warm up it would still be awhile before the snow would be gone. The problem being, we didn't have enough diesel to run the tractor for every long. So the first problem would be to figure out a way to obtain some. Our neighbor at the bottom of the hill could take me to the guy below him to get some, but I would have to come down to the bottom of our driveway for him to pick me up. Having no other option, I accepted his offer. You might at this point take a look again at the picture in the previous post of me nearly up to by waist in snow. Around the corner from where that was taken, for the next 150 feet was snow up to my waist (after that it was only about 2 to 3 feet deep). Unfortunately it was the only way down the hill. I did make it to the bottom of the hill to be picked up by Tommy (our neighbor) and taken to his lower neighbor to get a five gallon diesel can filled. Then back up to the bottom of our driveway to drop me off. I thanked him and watched as he drove back to his house, picked up the diesel can and started off. Did I mention that our driveway is 2/3 of a mile long and rises 250ft? And that a 5 gallon can of diesel must way 40 to 50 lbs? And that it was snowing? And 24 degrees? Fun, fun! Anyway, I got the diesel back to the house, filled up the tractor, and worked for what was left of the day on the driveway. The next morning Sheila continued the work
Yes, that is the snow up to the top of the tractors back wheels

We also started to dig out the front path, switching with the tractor person when they got tired of shoveling

Eventually the path was doneAnd the driveway nearly done


The hope is to be able to get out this next day. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home